Mayberry Campground is a privately owned RV park located in the small town of Mt. Airy, NC which is often referred to as Mayberry. The land the campground is built on was once part of a 2,000 acre farm owned by the original Siamese twins, Eng and Chang Bunker. The twins and their wives, Sarah (Eng) and Adelaide (Chang), settled in Mt. Airy, NC. Eng and Chang each had their own home and would stay at one residence for three nights, then go to the other residence for three nights. Eng and Sara had 11 children while Chang and Adelaide had 10. The twins were never separated and died on January 17, 1874 at the age of 62.
Within the campground property there is a white farmhouse (pictured left) that was built by Eng's son, William Bunker in 1900. Occasional tours are offered to groups interested in viewing the old home place. The campground owner, Benny East, is the great-great grandson of Eng. His mother, Ruby Bunker East, was born and raised in the farmhouse along with her 5 sisters. Kali Boles, the campground manager, is a great-great-great granddaughter of Eng.
For more information to visit the Mount Airy Visitor's Center web site
Mayberry Campground is centrally located to Mayberry RFD (Mt. Airy), Pilot Mountain, and the Blue Ridge Parkway! Also close by is the world's largest open face granite quarry!
Photo Credit: Surapon Sujjavanich
to view our area guest guide